I’ve been listening to Dave Ramsey’s radio show podcast every day for months. I love it! I have to admit I’d finally learned why Dave Ramsey is awesome what Dave Ramsey is good for in my life.
Who Is Dave Ramsey?
Dave Ramsey is a Christian personal finance expert, radio show host, and author. He is the author of the New York Times bestselling books Financial Peace and The Total Money Makeover. His radio program, The Dave Ramsey Show, is heard on more than 450 radio stations throughout the U.S. and transmits Ramsey’s inimitable financial advice to more than 4 million listeners each week.
Overall he has helped millions of people get out of debt and build wealth through his radio show, live events and personal finance books. You can learn more about him and his personal finance advice at his website www.daveramsey.com.
What Does Dave Ramsey Recommend?
Yesterday I started thinking about how I’ve applied Dave Ramsey’s advice in my life and I realized… I haven’t. I’ve done almost the opposite of everything he says. Here’s proof:
- He says pay off your smallest debt first. (I went with the highest interest.)
- He says stop your retirement contributions until you are out of debt. (I didn’t at first but did this at the end to finish.)
- He says stop using credit cards. (I use mine for every expense except my rent.)
- He says build up an emergency fund of $1k. (I did that initially.)
- He says get on a written budget (I use Mint to budget.)
It seems like I listen to Dave Ramsey but don’t actually implement all of his advice, just some of it. In fact I often go out of my way to do the opposite of what he teaches.
Why would I listen to his show every day if I’m going to use other financial principles to guide me?
What Is Dave Ramsey Really Good For?
Dave Ramsey is great for MOTIVATION.
I listen to Dave Ramsey because he is a great motivator. Listening to his show keeps me committed to accomplishing my financial goals. I might not be paying off debt and saving in the same way he teaches but I am paying off debt and saving. We don’t have to agree on the details to agree on the big things. His show keeps me motivated on the big things.
I love listening to debt free callers to his show. I love hearing how they’ve paid off so much debt. Often way more than I’ve paid off! I re-listened to his special show where people who had paid off everything including the house called in. That was super inspirational to me. I want to pay off a house one day. I want to live without any bills. I want that freedom.
Dave Ramsey does have some good ideas that I listen to as well. For instance, I am driving a beater right now. It’s the ugliest car I’ve ever owned. It’s older than the first car I got at age 16. It’s got random parts from other cars and it’s obvious. It’s not going to get me any style points any time soon but it definitely is saving me money on something I need to have.
In conclusion, Dave Ramsey is good for inspiration. And perhaps the occasional idea. At least that’s what he is good for to me!
Get Inspired By Dave Ramsey
You can get inspired, motivated, and fired up by Dave Ramsey and his advice in many ways. I recommend doing one or all of the following:
- Read his book: The Total Money Makeover: Classic Edition: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness
- Read his book: The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness
- Read his book: Financial Peace Revisited
- Read his book: EntreLeadership: 20 Years of Practical Business Wisdom from the Trenches
- Get his Deluxe Executive Envelope System (Dave Ramsey’s Financial Peace University) and start budgeting
- Listen to the Dave Ramsey show on your local radio station or I Heart Radio
- Watch clips of Dave speaking to groups on YouTube
Whichever way you decide to listen, enjoy! Dave Ramsey will definitely inspire you and motivate you to take action to improve your personal finances and your entire life. You won’t regret it!