J. Money wrote about 5 things he would upgrade if he was rich. I liked his post and thought I would do the same thing. Yeah, direct ripoff post, but you know I love me some Budgets Are Sexy blog posts. :)
If I were to strike it rich I probably wouldn’t be nearly as frugal as I am now. I like to think I’d still live within my means but I know I’d definitely upgrade a few things.
Things I would upgrade if I were rich:
- My living situation. Right now I’m renting and it’s nowhere near ideal. It’s a very old house that needs a lot of repairs but the owner is too cheap to make improvements. I’d love to buy a nicer, newer, bigger house. I wouldn’t want anything too crazy, no mansion. I’d actually like a relatively modest house but with a good amount of space outside for our dogs and inside for our future kids. The kicker – in a good location close to downtown. Money really only buys location anyway.
- My mom’s situation. If I was rich one of the first things I’d do would be help my mom out. She’s in her 60s and nearing retirement but has little saved and is still in debt. She got a bad deal when she and my father were divorced and has never recovered. I hate every day that she is still worrying about money so I’d upgrade her life situation if I was rich.
- My car situation. I currently am driving a beater that is barely worth $500. So of course I’d love to buy myself an amazing car. I’ve always dreamed of owning a BMW so I’d definitely go that route and get myself one. Or two. I’ve always loved riding inside a BMW and think I’d love owning one.
- My wardrobe situation. I shop at exclusively at thrift stores and Target sales/clearance. There isn’t a single piece of clothing I own that cost over $30. If I was rich you better believe I’d toss it all and upgrade to much nicer clothes. I’m not much into designer fashion but I’d like better quality clothes and some nice shoes and purses.
- My giving situation. I mostly give time and effort these days regarding charity, but I’d love to give more in cash. If I was rich I’d up my charitable giving to the causes I care about. It would be awesome to feel like I was making a real difference with my giving.
- My travel situation. I’d travel more if I was rich. I would love to do a mix of fun and adventurous travel along with humanitarian and volunteer travel. I’d also give the gift of travel to people I know, helping to pay for people’s missions trips to build schools and similar.
If I was a billionaire I like to think I’d not be obsessed with material things and would still want to help others around me and in the world. Ah, if only I was rich!