As you might have noticed, I changed this to online income update, rather than self-employment income. While I’m still pursuing offline activities, I’ve decided to leave that out for a bit. It’s not really what most people are interested in anyway!
I’m doing this for transparency and to show that building an online income isn’t all fun and games. It’s hard, it takes time, and sometimes the results are frustrating.
If you are interesting in how I did last month: Self-Employment Income December 2013.
Figuring Money Out Blog Updates
Goals for January:
- Enter blog into blogger carnivals again! – Pass! And I hosted the Carnival of Personal Finance!
- Increase Alexa Rank to under 350,000. – Pass! My Alexa Rank today is 346,920.
- Increase visits to 3,000. – Fail. Got close but still under 3K for the month.
- Write 2 more reviews. – Pass! I wrote about TurboTax, the Barclay Arrival MasterCard, and I also shared cool piggy banks.
I posted some great content last month. My favorite posts from January:
- Best Books To Read When Getting Out Of Debt
- Balance Transfers to Get Rid Of Credit Card Debt
- Do I Need Life Insurance?
- How I Wasted Money In College: Classes
- How To Save Money With Google
Side Hustles Update
As a reminder, services I’m currently offering:
- Blog Setup
- Blog Post Writing & Editing
- Website/Blog Management
- Blog Monetization Management
- Social Media Management
- Blog commenting
- Virtual Assistant
If you need help with any of these things, let me know! I’m happy to help.
Sign on 1-3 new clients. Pass. Signed on 1, missed out on a couple.
Build affiliate income. Pass! My affiliate income wasn’t huge for the month but I’m thankful for the growth because it seems more sustainable than direct advertising. Thank you to everyone who clicked through one of my affiliate links and bought a product!
January Online Income
So how did I do in December? The numbers please…
- Direct Advertising Income – $806.25
- Affiliate Income – $53.96
- Products Sales – $34.00
January Income Total – $894.21
Online Income Thoughts
I made about $100 less than last month, though I worked a lot more this month and was more steady in my blogging endeavors. Some of the work I did this month I won’t get paid for until next month – at least $500 from online gigs will be coming in February from work I did in January. While that sets me up for a good month next month I’m a bit disappointed that I didn’t hit the $1,000 mark this month or my initial online income goal of $1,200.
Part of me wonders if I’ll hit the $1,000 mark soon. It feels like I should already be there and should be making more than I am.
I know I can compare my online income and find it better than lots of newbies and worse than lots of veterans. I just feel stuck in a middle section where I’m working hard but not making the progress I want to make. At the moment of writing this post I feel very frustrated that I cannot fully make enough online and have to take offline side jobs to keep myself going.
However, I’m choosing to keep a positive and open mind regarding my blogging and online self-employment income. This will change and a breakthrough will come and I’ll have better months for the rest of the year. I know it!