Well Heeled has an excellent blog post today about how to live like a student.
What does it mean to live like a student?
She asks the question what does it mean to live like a student? Since there are so many different types of people who are students this could mean anything from eating ramen daily to driving a BMW and living in a nice condo.
When it comes down to it she declares these four things as living like a student:
- Cooking at home most nights.
- Have a wardrobe that fits and flatters for what I need…
- Live with roommate(s).
- Get by without a car.
I totally agree with these things and definitely think they are living like a student.
How I Live Like A Student
In fact. I live like a student!
Living like a student for us means:
- Cooking at home most nights. Despite the crazy spending on eating out in the beginning of this month we normally don’t eat out that often. We cook most meals at home, especially during the week. When we do eat out we no longer go to nice restaurants and instead eat at markets with food stalls or trucks or fast food places.
- Thift shopping for clothes. I’m slowly building a better wardrobe that is more appropriate to my location and work situation. I’m not buying too much but trying to find quality pieces I need at thrift stores. Definitely living like a student here.
- Live with roommates. We technically live with family but they are just like roommates! We currently live in a sectioned off part of the house and they live in another part of it and the only shared space is the kitchen and a hallway. I feel like a bum living with family but for now it works.
- Get by without a car. We only have one shared car for the two of us. Even then we still try to bike more often than drive. He bikes to school, I bike for errands during the day. We use the car for groceries or longer trips but try to bike as much as we can.
So we are definitely living like students right now in many ways. Sometimes I wonder if I’ll ever STOP living like a student. I’m in my mid twenties… I hope eventually I start living like an adult!
Benefits Of Living Like A Student
There are many reasons why I continue to live like a student right now even though I do hope to move out of this phase of life eventually. Some of the benefits of living like a student even when you aren’t one include:
- Ability to save more money
- Not as much pressure to buy new stuff
- Find ways to be happy that aren’t materialistic
- Pick up new skills where you could just spend money
- Focus on social interactions over spending money
There are many other benefits to living like a student that you can find out over time. I don’t expect to live like a student forever but it’s definitely beneficial right now!