It’s been several months since I did a What I Paid, Saved, and Bought on Pay Day post so today on this glorious payday, I’m bringing it back! Pay day is usually my most active spending day of the month so it’s fun to share what I’m doing with my money on this super active money days.
What I Paid On Pay Day
- Rent. First paycheck of the month means it’s rent time! I’m lucky that my new rent is not even a quarter of my monthly income so it doesn’t hurt as much to pay it as it did when it was over 50% of my monthly income.
- Health insurance. I have health insurance through the government marketplace and I pay full price for it. So $150 for bare minimum coverage each month. At least I won’t go bankrupt if I get hurt, right?
- Electric Bill – I paid $85 for my electric bill. It was due today so it’s lucky that pay day coincided with this due date.
What I Saved On Pay Day
- Roth IRA. I put $100 toward my Roth IRA today. I plan to put away at least $100 each pay check and last month I put in an extra $100.
- Emergency fund. I moved $250 over to my emergency fund savings account from checking. This account is still not where it needs to be at but I’m happy that it’s at least big enough to cover rent and utilities and such for a few months.
What I Bought On Pay Day
- Lunch. Though I haven’t done it yet, I’m planning to go out to eat for lunch today. I usually always bring my lunch if it’s not a company paid for lunch, but today felt like a good time to treat myself. Buying lunch out if definitely a luxury.
- Coffee. I’ve got a Starbucks habit and I’m not planning to apologize for it or give it up. Coffee makes me happy and brightens my day and mood so it’s well worth the expense each month. The first paycheck of the month means it’s Starbucks card top up time!
- Groceries. It’s grocery day! It’s a good thing too because my pantry was getting pretty bare in there. I’m planning to stock up on some frozen veggies and staples that won’t go bad quickly. It’s also the shopping trip where I get fresh fruit and vegetables for this week. I’ll be cooking dinner at home tonight and it will be so nice to have everything I need!
So that’s what I’ve paid, saved, and bought today! It’s a pretty average first of the month payday. The second check of the month is much more fun for me because I get to save more and spend more on fun stuff. It’s definitely a lot more fun when I don’t have to pay rent or bigger insurance bills!